Saturday, February 4, 2012

I HATE peanuts....

I never thought I would say I hated peanuts....well actually I hate there stupid allergy.  For 4 years I have been trying to teach Connor that he shouldn't eat anything anyone gives him unless its from a trusted source.  I have warned him that he needs to be careful about what he eats because it can make him very very sick. 
We crossed our first hurdle and he attended preschool two days a week.  It was super!  My confidence shot way up.  Then we crossed our second hurdle he goes to preschool 4 days a week.  The school was made peanut free which made me feel better but still scared to death to send my baby boy out into the dangerous world. 
He attended his first birthday party.  I went into the party and inspected all the food and found it perfectly safe for my little boy.  The party was only a few blocks away and Connor was a little nervous to go but so very excited.  He went and had a splendid time.
Yesterday he was invited to another birthday party.  I called the mom and she told me about the cupcakes and ice cream they would be eating.  Everything luckily was Connor friendly.  So I told Connor everything at the party is safe and I will even walk in with you and double check.  He wanted to go so badly because it was a friend from school and his cousin would be there too.  He was having the hardest time deciding if he was going to go.  When I finally asked him what was making him not want to go he said mom I'm scared of peanuts....  I told him that everything was fine and if he wanted to he didn't have to eat anything.  He started to cry and said mom I'm just too scared.
UGH.....makes me so so sad.  I want him to be able to enjoy life.  I want him to be aware that there are things he cannot eat but I don't want him to be afraid forever.  It just breaks my heart that he couldn't go to the party because he was scared of his stupid allergy.  I hope as he gets older as he understands it more he won't be scared.  So sad and frustrating...
Anyway things will be ok and we will make it through this stupid allergy and Connor will be fine.  I know that it hurt me lots more than him.  So here is a cute picture of my handsome little man....

3 comments:

Hilary said...

I'm sorry -- that has to be tough, on both of you.

crystal said...

My little girl is going to be five this year and is allergic to peanuts also. She has the same fears and is very quick to ask if "this has peanuts in it?" everytime anyone hands her anything to eat(even when someone hands her a go-gurt lol). I understand your feelings completely and I am so glad that the school is a peanut free zone although I feel bad for those die-hard peanut and jelly fans ;) Hang in there

Ashley said...

Oh that is so sad. I am so glad that my kids so not have any food allergies that we know of yet :) But I am the same way about being worried on other things I swear my kids will not dare leave the house in a few years cuz I will have convinced them that they will get hit by a bus of fall down ten flights of stairs and break there necks. Yeah I am totally paranoid and the kids hear it all the time. I am sure that he will understand soon that he doesnt need to be worried and that he can venture out into the world.