Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Jury Duty

So I suppose I should consider myself lucky that it hasn't happened before now, but about 1 month ago I received a summons for jury duty. Everybody I talked to said, "every time I have had to do it, the case is resolved and I never have to go." So all last week I anxiously awaited a phone call from the court saying never mind....case has been settled! I waited and waited and by Friday evening no phone call :(
So Monday morning Connor went to play at grandmas and I went to Delta. I went in and there were about 10 of us potential jurors. The judge came in and explained that this was a DUI case and he was going to only need 4 jurors. He was going to asked us a series of questions and then he along with the attorneys would narrow it down to only 4. I felt a little more relieved after that because I thought what are the odds they will keep me. I am a big pregnant hormonal lady...they have to send me home! So after about an hour of instruction and questions they read the names of the 4 jurors they would be keeping for the trial. Guess whose name was #3???? MINE!!! I couldn't believe it. So I was thrown into the judicial system for the first time and had no clue what to expect.
We heard about 2 1/2 hours of testimony, then we were released for lunch break. When we got back we heard about an hour of instruction and closing statements. We were then sent into the jury room to deliberate and come to a guilty or non guilty verdict. I believe we deliberated about 15-20 minutes and came up with our guilty verdict. We were led back into the courtroom where our foreman read our verdict to the court. Then we were thanked for taking the time to be there ( like we even had a choice! ) and we were excused to go home. So I believe including drive time that burned up about 8 hours of my day! I guess I will see if the paycheck is worth it! HAHAHA!!!
So all in all it was interesting to see the real judicial system in action. But I feel like I have served my civic duty for the time being and hope to never receive a jury summons again!

5 comments:

Amanda and Ryan said...

I've always been curious how it worked. I've received the notice twice but never heard anything else.
How did the guy react?

Anonymous said...

Hahaha.... That's hilarious!!!! Well I'm glad it was over quick!

{Mo} said...

How fun! (that is said with a mix of seriousness and sarcasm) I had jury duty a few years ago when we lived in Santaquin and had to go to Provo for it. It turned out to be an arson case, that was both boring and fascinating. It was a pain to get Derrick's mom to come stay with us to watch the boys for 3 days, but it really was interesting to me. I can't say I'm anxious to do it again.... actually I haven't even recieved a notice since we moved here?

Ashley said...

Thats crazy I was called a few years ago but didnt have to go in. I think that it would be kinda fun and interesting. Yes a waste of time all in all but interesting none the less. Oh well at least it is over and you know that its not that bad after all...

Parke Family said...

Don't spend that money all in one place ;0 LOL LOL! Thank goodness it was quick.